Sunday, January 27, 2013

On Priorities


pri-or-i-ty (noun) 1. Precedence by order of importance  2. An established right to precedence 3. Something deserving prior attention (American Heritage Dictionary)

                                        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 The tsunamis of life force us to evaluate - or re-evaluate as the case may be - our priorities. What matters the most to us? Where do we spend our time, our money, our efforts? What steals the most energy?  The old addage that the squeaky wheel gets the grease is ever true - the tyranny of the urgent. And yet, where do those ‘wheels’ fit in the big picture of our lives? Are they done with a Godward purpose?  Most importantly, do they match up with what we say is most important to us?

It has been said that - despite our words - the proof of our priorities is found in our checkbook and on our calendar. Ouch.

I had a conversation this week with an executive of a major corporation about priorities.  He is highly respected and considered to be one of those people who has ‘three feet on the ground’ ….solid….trustworthy…unruffled by what I call corporate craziness and not impressed with money or position. Unlike many who receive a new title and promotion, he doesn’t buy a bigger house or more expensive car.  To the contrary, he has lived in the same house he bought 17 years ago when he was making $40K a year; he has never driven anything but the dependable Toyota Corola and has no plan to change. His list of priorities is taped onto the bathroom mirror so he is reminded of them every morning while he is shaving. 

Once he’s at the office, he ‘brings it’ 110% but at the end of the day, it’s just a job.  His top priority is his family. He comes in early so he can leave early to spend time with them. He turns off his cell phone and doesn’t check emails or do any work-related tasks until the kids are in bed…what an example.
That conversation caused me to take a look at my own priorities. I found that thinking about them is far easier than listing them and holding myself accountable to them.
The Old Testament prophet Haggai wrote in the 1st chapter “Give careful thought to your ways. You have planted much, but harvested little; you eat but never have enough; you drink but never have your fill. You put on clothes but are not warm; you earn wages only to put them in a purse with holes in it.”
That conjures up an image of the hamster on the wheel going nowhere fast as days fade into years with no do-overs.
After reading the words from the prophet, I had to go back to the first paragraph of this post and ask myself the same questions. My answers will determine, not only what the list on my bathroom mirror will say, but how I live out that list. In short, will my walk and my talk align? Will I live my priorities in a way that is honoring to God and beneficial to those I love the most?
                                            Bible
Thinking must happen.  I, too, must must give careful thought to my ways. I do not wish to be like the hamster.
Copyright 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment