Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Few of Our Favorite things

Readers...after having way too much trouble with this post from random dates on photos that can't be removed to preview looking nothing like the original post and photos deciding where they will end up, I am posting anyway as this has been rattling around in my head for a couple of weeks. Thinking seriously about switching to Wordpress. Until then, here's a little something from Ernestine P. Jones.

 

Msrosib said that my very first post last week brought lots of page views; I’m not sure what that means but since she smiled about it, I guess it’s a happy thing, so she said I could have more words now but to choose them carefully as I know too much about her. (Indeed I do.) She has been kind to me, though, so I shall return that kindness as we relish Christmas 2012. 



The other day I heard her singing “A Few of My Favorite Things “ from the movie The Sound of Music. She likes to sing;  I like to listen. 

She has her own list of favorite things – surely music is near the top. She also has a new little journal that she bought at New Seasons in Washington. It’s her favorite (one must always have a new journal with the 'right' feel and the 'right' look and the 'right' combination of art and writing space on the pages).  And of course the first entries must always be about new and happy things.

mountain home
Her newest and happiest things are treasures from the people who know her best and love her the most …she even made up a song about them to the same tune as ‘My Favorite Things’ …well it started out that way, but then she resorted to a simple rhyme.  She loves simplicity and all things cozy; obviously the gift givers do as well.

Coffee from Portland and African beauties,
Photos of wee girls and brother – such cuties!
Handstitched and freehand - a treasure called JOY, 
Bookmarks and drawings by small girl and boy;
Candles – both scented – and one smells like roses;
Cozy and pleasant to everyone’s noses.
Napkins and cutting boards - snowmen galore,
Books about birdies – who could want more?
Cardinal shakers and music from iTunes,
Better than parties with lots of balloons.
ESV Bible with softest blue covers;
Just the right size for my travel endeavors.
Ticket to concert of lifetime desire,
To soak in such blessings, must sit by my fire
To ponder my life and God's goodness to me; 
A life richly blessed more than any should be!
  



Until Next time.......Blessings,
Ernestine P. Jones

Copyright 2013





4 comments:

  1. Your poem is delightful Mother! And I know that I found such joy in giving you your gifts, so did the other givers. :) We learned how to give from you. And It hasn't stopped. You have a generous, thoughtful, artistic heart. Thank you for sharing your blessings here, it continues the blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Karrie! When it comes so blessings, truly...my cup runneth over and what fun to share them here. xoxoxo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the blessings multiply as we get to read your favorite things in rhyme! Thank you for this, Mother Dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading - I am thoroughly enjoying this avenue of expression. :)

    ReplyDelete